Adding support for Dynamic DNS technology into a hardware product expands your product's functionality and appeal. Dynamic DNS technology provides a hostname (such as hostname.dyndns.org) or domain (such as domain.com) that can be automatically updated when a dynamic (or pseudo-static) IP address changes. There are many uses for dynamic DNS technology in hardware products, such as:
- Making the use of DNS technologies easier for customers who want to operate servers behind your NAT router products
- Allowing VPNs to operate without requiring a static IP address
- Allowing a stand alone networked video camera to be easily accessed
Once you've made the decision to incorporate Dynamic DNS technology, your company must choose which DNS provider to support. As there is no standardized method for automating DNS updates on the public Internet, your choice of a DNS provider is crucial. Adding support for DynDNS Dynamic DNS and Dyn Standard DNS services is the right choice for your company, for the following reasons:
- DynDNS has been providing high-quality DNS services since 1998
- DynDNS is a stable company with a geographically diverse, fault-tolerant network
- DynDNS has two offerings, Dynamic DNS and Dyn Standard DNS, that meet your customers' diverse needs
- DynDNS makes its update specifications publicly available.
Hardware clients pose different challenges compared to the more traditional software clients. Once a hardware client is written and shipped, it is difficult to modify it, so hardware clients should be designed with compliance from the start.
Our client specifications outline how clients are expected to interact with our systems, while the flow diagram outlines the logical structure a well-behaved clients should help. We also provide hints specific to hardware client design that reflect our long experience with automated updating.
Hardware Certification Programs
The DynDNS hardware certified program is designed to identify products that have undergone our rigorous testing and been found to interact well with our systems. Products that have met the requirements for the program are eligible for special incentive programs.
- Certified for Dyn Standard DNS - Products are certified to work with our Dyn Standard DNS service.
- Certified for Dynamic DNS - Products are certified to work with our free Dynamic DNS service.
- Works Only With DynDNS - Hardware manufacturers that exclusively support DynDNS will be supported by DynDNS' technical suppport staff.
If your product is DynDNS Certified, then potential consumers can choose your product knowing that it incorporates excellent support for a high-quality, reliable DDNS provider.